Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January 28, 2013


As our days in Vienna are winding down, so are the things we do each day! Today, the only stop on our agenda was the Military History Museum. In a beautiful, winter wonderland walk to the museum in fresh fallen snow, I thought back on how wonderful this trip has been. I have learned so much—things I can’t even imagine learning about in a classroom. I am truly blessed for this experience.

I am also blessed in the aspect of being able to recognize good museums from bad ones. Not that the military history museum was bad, it just did a bad job on explaining anything. It jumped through eras in history, faster than you would skip rocks on a lake. I learned more from the room summarization papers that were given out in each room. I don’t mean to be ridiculously negative, but I think that they did not do a good job of educating people that come to learn more about Austria’s military in past wars.
Franz Ferdinand's uniform

It was cool, and yet, really gross to see Franz Ferdinand’s bloody and cut up uniform that he was wearing when he was assassinated. They also had the car that he was riding in on display too. It was really gross to see bloody stains that are almost one hundred years old, but at the same time, it was neat to see the remnants of something that sparked World War One.

The rest of today has been pretty chill. I just hung around the hotel doing a little pre-packing for later this week when we head to Budapest, Hungary. I can’t believe we are in the last week of this trip, but I am looking forward to the rest of what is planned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment