Monday, January 21, 2013

January 21, 2013


Our time in Berlin is already over. That makes me so overwhelmingly sad to leave such a beautiful country, but even more excited to see what Austria will have for us! The last two days have been shorter than the previous week but just as wonderful.

On Sunday, we visited the film museum and learned about Nazi propaganda in films in the 1930’s- 1940’s. That was very interesting to see how politics played their role in entertainment. They also had an exhibit on Sesame Street and I enjoyed the stroll down memory lane. In the afternoon, we visited the technical museum and saw a cattle car that could have been used during the holocaust. As hard as it was to imagine it jammed packed with crying, tired and scared people, it scared me when I could imagine a train of cattle cars driving through the country, and knowing no one stopped it before it got to the final destination of a concentration camp.

In addition to packing and last minute souvenir shopping, we visited the biggest Jewish synagogue still standing in Berlin. Over half of it had been destroyed and never fixed. However, I found it very interesting that the synagogue saved some pieces of the stained glass and pieces it back together as best as they could so visitors could get an accurate imagination of how beautiful this place used to be.

Two nights of fabulous dinner filled with laughter and nonsense have absolutely worn me out. I will always cherish my time in Germany but will be restless (in my sleep!) in anticipation for Austria! 

No comments:

Post a Comment