Sunday, January 13, 2013

January 13, 2013

Tomorrow. Less than 24 hours. In 19 hours, 34 minutes and 39... 38... 37.... seconds.

Tomorrow. It is pretty insane to think that this time tomorrow I will be boarding the plane in Detroit for one long flight to Europe. After months of anticipation, it is almost here!

I am extremely excited. Ignore the fact that I get rather excited over the smallest things because this is no small "thing". This is going to study for nineteen days on site of things that I have spent a large portion of my childhood learning about. What an opportunity. I am so lucky.

In preparation, our class has watched the Winds of War television mini-series, Rosenstrasse, The Third Man and One, Two, Three, and read "Still Alive" by Ruth Kluger and "An Underground Life" by Gad Beck. Our week of class on campus included reviewing these materials and anxiously talking about what we will see. For the few of us that do not know German, we did learn how to answer when asked how we are-- gut!

I am spending my last day in the States packing the last few things for this trip. Even though I packed my suitcase last weekend before returning to campus, my carry on and "personal item" desperately need attention. And knowing me, that will probably take an eternity. I would never be able to pack and go without some sort of long agonizing debate. And long and agonizing is not exaggerated in the least.

Speaking of which, I should probably get back to that. In the meantime, the countdown continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment