Saturday, February 2, 2013

Ending Remarks.

Well, I'm home. I arrived safely home last night after a long day of travel. The flights were flawless; couldn't have asked for smoother travel. No delays, no issues, just sarcasm and security. Just another blessing to add to the list.

As I'm currently trying to recover from jet lag, I am going back through all of my pictures from the last month (all 981 of them) and replaying each day in my head. All of the lessons learned, funnies said, and memories made still seem like yesterday, and I intend to keep it that way. Ever since I left Richmond's airport, I have been bragging to anyone I talk to about the wonderful month I spent in central Europe. They just smile politely and agree that it was quite an opportunity, but only those of us who share that bond completely understand. And that is something that I know we all value; something that we will never lose.

It is still sad to think that the trip is over. It was weird going to bed last night after not seeing anyone from our group in over six hours. I missed it already. I missed laughing at Cody's mezzo mix addiction. I missed giggling with Lindsey about our lisps in our retainers before bed. I missed Anne telling a story because they always made me laugh, and I missed Keifer's comments about the dysfunctional nature of our group. I missed attempting to start ab work with Stephanie after our afternoon pastry. I missed competing with Elliot to see who could be more awkward. I missed our ridiculous dinner conversations. I missed walking the streets of beautiful cities. I missed hearing a muffled "ay yo frauline" coming from one of the guys. But most of all, I missed the bond all of us created.

But now it is what I think about, laugh about, and smile about. I learned so much on this trip-- about the course, and about myself. Our little group made it so easy to get close, which is really what is need when studying such a hard topic as the Holocaust. You really do need that support group there, it keeps you sane. But regardless, this was hands down the best class I've ever had. I learned more that I could have ever imagined in those few weeks together. I would highly recommend it to anyone I come in contact with. The world is a classroom; but there is something good about learning, not behind the desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment